Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Trust


"You're going to come across people in your life who will say all the right words at all the right times. But in the end, it's always their actions you should judge them by. It's actions, not words, that matter."  Nicholas Sparks

Oh my, another so appropriate quote for my life right now.  Before I moved here I started corresponding with some US expats now living in Costa Rica and some ticos (native Costa Ricans).  I especially connected with a tico that had recently moved back to Costa Rica.  His name is Enock.  He left Costa Rica when he was 14 years old, (I do not know why yet), travelled in and lived in the US and Mexico and has recently returned to Costa Rica to reacquaint with his family here and get to know his native country again.  He is 33 years old.  As we got to know each other better online, we talked about him visiting us in Nosara after we got settled.

In the past few days we have been talking a lot online and I told him about our lack of transportation issue.  He went out of his way to find me a good scooter for a good deal.  He is bringing it here today and staying awhile.  J  He seems like a really nice, genuine guy.  He says he is bringing fishing gear and harpoon so he can get fish for us.  He is also bilingual which will prove to be very helpful to us.  He can also get us much better deals on things as the ticos here are used to tourist gringos who can pay a bunch of money for anything they need.  We however are trying to live on a pretty tight budget and need tico prices, not gringo prices. 

We have all agreed that if he doesn’t like us or we don’t like him that he will leave.  He is so sweet sounding though and he said that he does not want to impose and that if we don’t like him, he has his tent and he will go live on the beach.  All of you who know me, know that he is going to have to be a pretty awful person for me to send him out to live on the beach during the raining season in Costa Rica.  It can rain tons and tons and he would not be able to stay dry.  So if he is nice and can be of any help to us at all, we will let him stay with us.  I am hoping for a mutually beneficial arrangement.  I have to go into this with a certain amount of trust but as the quote above says, in the end, he will judge us and we will judge him by actions, not words. 

As far as the past few days, it has been pretty uneventful, which we needed.  We have swam in the pool a couple times and went to the beach a few times.  Yesterday was the best day yet at the beach as the waves were calm.  I swam out to where the calm water was and just floated on the cresting, but not breaking, waves.  It was amazing!! 

We are eating very little but are managing ok.  We don’t waste anything, not even a paper bag.  It is very different living here without having easy access and reasonable prices for most things that we just take for granted in the US.  It really makes you appreciate everything and even if/when I return to the US, I will never be that same.  Which I think is a good thing.  J

Today, Jarred is at the beach swimming and Jacob walked to Guioness beach to find the guy who walks that beach and sells empanadas.  He is hunting for our lunch.  LOL

 I stayed at the house to apply for some telecommuting jobs and wait for Enock to show up with my scooter.  It is a 2008, 125 cc Jialing.  He said he test drove it and it runs good.  Another thing I am just going to have to let go and trust to God that he is watching out for my best interest.  I will keep you posted on how the scooter works out.  Enock has a Toyota, don’t know the model yet, that he might sell to me too.  I told him I don’t have the money to buy it outright right now but that I could make payments.  So we will see what happens with that idea too.  The scooter will be great for running around Nosara but it would be nice to have a car because of the rain and for travelling further like 1 hour to Nicoya and 5 plus hours to San Jose.

No comments:

Post a Comment