Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Costa Rica things

Today was a fun day at school but I have been here doing homework for hours, finishing my Grammar Essay and preparing grammar lessons.  These are very difficult lessons to plan, at least for me and at least right now.  So I thought I would share some Costa Rica wierdnesses.  (Is that a word?) 

Most people who live here have hot water on demand.  This means that you cannot turn the water on full blast and get hot water.  You have to turn the knob, not too much, not too little, but just right to get the hot water to come out.  This is very frustrating.  Plus, the hot water only runs for a little while, then you have to wait, I usually turn the water off for a couple minutes, then back on, for the hot water to kick in again.  This morning I got my hair wet, the soap on my hair, scrubbing some, before the hot water shut off.  I had to wait a couple minutes, adjust the water again, rinse my hair.  then off went the hot water again.  Put conditioner on while I was waiting for hot water again.  Then rinsed it off.  No bathtub at all.  So with this hot water issue and shower, someone please tell me how I am going to be able to shave my legs????

And tv shows?  Well, obviously most are in Spanish.  But they have a few stations that are in English.  However the only ones I have seen in English so far is one station that all they show are crime shows like CSI, Bones and those types.  And I have seen Dancing With the Stars and CNN on t.v.  I am sure with those being the only American t.v. they see, they think we are either all out killing each other in the streets or dancing in the streets.  LOL

Ok, here is another weird and gross thing.  Supposedly the sewage pipes here are not very large in diameter and clog easily.  Therefore, you are not to put your toilet paper in the toilet.  Yep, that's right!  You wipe and then throw the toilet paper in a garbage can.  I have always seen them lined with a plastic garbage bag but it is still really gross.  I mean think about if you have some really loose bowels, what your toilet paper is going to be like.  UGH!!   I can't understand why if the stools can go down through the pipes, why can't a little bit of toilet paper.

And yea, I am a little tired of rice and beans already.  They have them for lunch and dinner, EVERY DAY!  Oh well!  It could be worse.  It could be penis fish, which I only heard about for the first time today while playing a game at school.  The game, I Have Never, is that you hold up five finger on your hand, go around the room and take turns state "I have never........"  If you have done that, you put a finger down.  Loser is the first one to lose all their fingers.  So one person stated, "I have never eaten penis fish."  Well I hadn't either so I got to keep a finger up for that one.  :)
 

6 comments:

  1. Some of the South European states have the toilet paper issue, too. And believe me, hot water isn't really necessary to shave your legs. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoaaaaaaa WHERE are you staying in the JUNGLE???
    I have lived here 22 tears and ONLY ANCIENT and very few Buildings NOW have to put toilet paper NOT in Toilet YUK..WE HAVE GOOD PIPES HOT WATER AND GOD KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE STAYING BUT IT SURE SHEDS AN AWFUL LIGHT ON COSTA RICA !
    <aybe ou are living out in the boonies somewhere as I have hosted in 22 years when I was a B&B, at LEAST HUNDREDS of guests from all over the world and NOT one of them had have your shower/toilet AMAZINGLY ugly experiences ..In fact I dont know of AMYONE friends or neighbors who have!
    PLEASE tell us EXACTLY where you are living and why the bathroom dramas ...so that we can warn the MILLIONS of Tourists NEVER to visit that area..although I thought after 22 years I had covered most areas here in Costa Rica,
    I am AMAZED PLEASE let us know WHERE you are
    Costa Rica is known as the "Switzerland of the Central Americas" That really means that is is neither run down or too poor for good plumbing .and YES WE have MANY FABULOUS restaurants of all Nationalities ..Just today I took my two friends visitors (One from Brazil and 1 from England yo lunch in out village just 10 minutes from Heredia in San Rafael and the meal was FANTASTIC for $5 per person including a natural fruit juice ..we are too full for dinner .... so what can I say???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbolita,
      my message has nothing to do with this lady's shower and toilet problems; I just want to enter in contact with you because I am a pet lover as you are and I would like to make a house exchange with you. If you are interesested and want details, please write me a message in my mail adress : bastet511@gmail.com
      Thank you. I hope I'm going to receive a message.
      Maria.

      Delete
  3. Be sure NOT to end up also living in a slum like this lady seems to have found I am here ALONE 22 years and NEVER had such ugly shower or toilet issues
    message me for advice on WHERE the lovely areas are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbolita: Please quit posting your nasty comments on here. I did not live in a slum nor did I live in the jungle. I have lived in two different very nice middle class Tico homes. Yes, there are way prettier areas than San Pedro and San Jose, however, this is where my school was and it was a safe, nice area. Both my homes did not flush their toilet paper. My school did not flush their toilet paper, none of the other homes my classmates lived at flushed their toilet paper. The bathrooms in the San Pedro mall, a modern mall, DID NOT flush their toilet paper. You must not have been very many areas in Costa Rica. And please quit commenting. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Just found this site bt accident and maybe by now you are back in the USA since the weird toilet, bathroom and TV AND food are not to your liking in CR..But you are putting a very bad image of Costa T+Rica and methinks it would be best of YOU go back to USA so you will stop making such ridiculous posts slamming Costa Rica ..JUST GO HOME !(IHeater on demand showers work FINE for millions of people and MALL San Pedro you do NOT need to put toilet paper int he basket as where you live ..MUST be an old fashioned dump..fingers crossed you are hime in the rat race by now!

    ReplyDelete