Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Past few days.

The past few days have been extemely busy.  I taught two classes yesterday.  This is practical teaching week so we teach students all week.  The class went very well and I developed a good repore with the students.  I had three, Andrey, boy, Karen and Ynixia, both girls, although Ynixia is a mom of a little girl, one year old.  My class is Pre Intermediate level so they have a good grasp on basic English.  I had to teach grammar yesterday though, Static Verbs.  Fun, fun.  And actually it was fun. 

After class I went on got a tattoo.  I have always wanted a tatoo of a little spider on the back of my neck.  As you can see, it is a little bit bigger than I first imagined it.  LOL.  It is the Golden Orb spider.  Native to Costa Rica.  The tattoo is pretty much life size I am told but I have not seen one of these yet and hope to never see one.  I am sure I will though.  I am very afraid of spiders.  Everyone asks why did you get a spider then.  I am not sure except I am ho;ing the tao of the spider tatto will make all spiders friendly to me.  \i hope, I hope!  The Pura Vida is basically the national saying here in Costa Rica.  It means Pure Life.  They say this as a greeting, like have a great day, or awesome.
 


It is not quite as big as it looks in the picture but it is good size. 

Day before yesterday \i went on a tour to the Irazu volcano.  It was pretty cool but if youve seen Mt. St. Helens blow like I have it was pretty unimpressive.  The views from up there, however were amazing.  It was a beautiful sunny day and we were above the clouds over the valley.
We then went to the La Basílica de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles.  the story of this particular church is that in 1635 a little girl found a doll in the woods.  She took it home and put it in her closet.  The next day she went to the woods and found another doll.  She was excited to have two dolls.  She went home and the one she put in the closet was gone. This happened three days in a row.  She then told the local priest about it.  \he locked the doll up and the next day it was gone.  He found it in the woods again.  So supposedly they have this sacred doll in the Basilica today.  I cant figure out how they are keeping her from returning to the woods though.  However, thousands of people flock every year to the religious center in what is called a "pilgrimage", gratitude or petition for favorse Basilica today.  I can;t figure out how they keep her from returning to the woods again now.  The picutre of the milagro, or miracle charms are below.  They bring these charms and give them to the church and pray for what the charm signifies.  \if they want a house, or kids or horses.  Or they pray for healing of their heart, arms, legs, eyes, lungs.  Any body part imaginable, they have a little charm for it hanging here

 
 
 
I have to go teach class now.  I will be back after to post more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment