Friday, April 5, 2013

Day Off

Internet is down at my house so I came to the school to blog.  Of course, they have Spanish/English keyboards here so they have a lot of things on them that are different than the keyboards I am used to.

Today is our first day of from TEFL so we have a three day weekend.  However we all have so much homework that none of us really have the full three days off.  I'm going to do this blog then get some more stuff ready for teaching actual classes on Monday.  Going to the volcano Irazu tomorrow.  It is just over 11,000 feet and is the highest mountain in Central America.  If it is clear, they say you can see the Pacific oOcean and the Carribean ocean.  We will see.  It rained like crazy for about an hour again today.  Cloudy skies now but the clouds are high and it is not dark and gloomy.  Also going to the Orosi Valley and seeing a botanical garden that specializes in Orchids.  Pics of things I hope to see tomorrow are below.

There was a minor miscommunication with my host mother today. I was in my bedroom and  I thought she was asking me if I minded her cleaning our bathroom.  I said no, that was fine.  Then when I wne in there later to shower, she had taken my towels.  She had washes these mind you.  Beats them around in the sink and such.  I haven't watched her do it but I have have heard here down there scrubbing away.  Then she hangs them out back to dry.  Well, I didn't get any towels today because of the rain.  These are hand washed and hung to dry.  No machines at all.  I can't even imagine it.  At least she does not and has not had any children.  I can't imagine having to do that when all the kids were little and still at home. 
 
At lunch I asked her permission to take her picture.  She is like me and most women.  She really
didn't want me too, wanted to see it when I was done so she could approve it or not.  She thought it was ok.  I told her it was good.  So here is a picture of my host mother Slyvia and my housemate Kris.  She is from the US, I canñt remember where.  She completed TEFL and is now looking for a job.  I don't think she wants one very bad though because the school has already told us of three schools, including my school, Maximo, that wants to hire teachers in San Jose area.
So here is a picture of them.  And two pictures of my room. 
 
That's it for now.  Off to do some schoolwork.



1 comment: