Friday, April 12, 2013

Self confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. how can anyone see how awesome you are if you cannot™t see it yourself?

Uknown

Ok everybody,  I have to say it, I'm freaking awesome!!!!   Just finished the TEFL program.  I am not sure where or when I will ever use it, though I am planning on using it for sure.  I just can't believe that this program that I sarted clear back in November, whimped out, freaked out and dropped, I came back and finished it.  What a wonderful feeling of accomplishment! 

This experience has changed my life by totally changing my perspective.  It has changed how I feel about myself, how I look and feel about the world around me and what is truly important in life.  I have been blown away at the quality of the program, the people involved in it, administration through teachers.  And I have especially been blown away at the kids, yea they are kids, that came through the program with me.  They accepted me as a peer from the word go.  Even though I joined them two weeks into their program and  even though I am old enough to be some of their grandmas. (only one :)   Even David, who is 25, feels he has lived his life to the fullest, doesnt care if he dies today because he doesn't want to end up in a nursing home.  Ha ha.  I have made life long friends who I plan to keep in touch with no matter what.  I am learning another language, another culture, another life.  I will never be the same person because of this experience.  What is that saying, once your mind has been stretched, it will never fit back to where it was before.  Mine has been stretched in many, many ways.  All for the good!

Here is a picture of my last TEFL practical teaching class.  With Andrey, Karen and Yanixia.  Karen lives at home with her family.  She is still young.  Andrey is taking classes at the University to become an architect.  Yanixia is married with the cutest little one year old baby.  They were wonderful students.  I couldn't have been luckier than to be broken in by them.

 
And really, you have no idea how hard it is to post these blogs with these Spanish/English hybrid keyboards.  To get the @ sign, you have to sype 64 while holding down the Alt button.  Crazy!  So forgive any typos or weird characters because you never know what you are going to get.
 
Yesterday Caitlan and I went downtown San Jose to the artisan market.  It was very cool and they had some intersting stuff.  However, a true artisan market it was not, for the most part.  There were a few vendors who had handmade stuff but the majority of the products, while made in Costa Rica, were mass manufactured.  I did buy a cute bracelet and a little verde backpack.  I also bought a few other gifts.  
 
We had lunch at a great local restaraunt that I would highly reccomment.  It was called Nuestra Tierra.  Our Land.  Traditional tico food.  We had awesome octopus and shrimp civice and a platter which is shown below.  It had fried plantain, black beans, fried yucca, a pork dish (can't remember what it is called) chips, tortilla, corn on the cob (wierd) and the best pico de gallo  I have ever had.  All for $32.00, not each, total.  We had already eaten our fill when the picture was taken.
 
 
Right across from the restaraunt was the Costa Rica National Museum.  I will save touring it for another day but Caitlan told me it is pretty cool.  It used to be an old fort.  You can see huge bullet holes in the side of the castle like turret.

Took the bus back to Maximo and hung out awhile, then headed home.
 
 
 
Todays inspirational quote.
 
Our lives are the only meaningful expression of what we believe and in Whom we believe. And the only real wealth, for any of us, lies in our faith.
Gordon B. Hinckley
 
I have become wealthy finally.  Not in money but in my faith, my compassion and much more wealthy in my understanding of myself and the world.  I pray everyday that my life can become more and more an experssion of what I believe.  Others can choose to accept, believe, doubt, hunger, gripe, be thankful, whatever.  I am just happy that I have found more of my authentic self and am able to express that, however it is taken.  I will never again be under the yoke of someone elses, expectations, judgement, beliefs or values.
 
So happy to be me.  I'm freaking AWESOME!!!!!!
 
On my tour the other day I saw this White-nosed Caoti.  Took a cute little video of him.  Poor baby had to scratch those fleas.  They are a relative to our North American racoon.
 


4 comments:

  1. Can you recommend reasonable areas to live? I need nothing fancy and would prefer experiencing the Tico way! Where are you located? Do enjoy reading your posts! Darcy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to come for a month to see if I will be suited to the area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRy the CLEAN Friendly areas OUTside of ugly polluted San Jose but surrounding areas only about 20 to 30 minutes away Though most like Tijuana do not care to be near the Capitol...an Upscale yet MUCh cheaper than Gringo gulches and Safer..Clean air modern TOILETS and yes even Malls and THREEE universities People come to Heredia to study mostly Vets...you should check out certain areas where NOT to settle,,Many beach areas especially on the Caribbean coast have now become druggie area... Shame because I used to send many of my B&B guests there ..no longer... CR as small as it looks on the map can take HOURS to go from point A to B..AND many area have TOTALY different Climates ..from Cool Mountain air to Hot and humid areas .so whatever our preference and lifestyle should be considered
    Good Luck
    The pacific side is a bit better.All depends on your budget and how important it is to live amongst Ticos BUT ib Safer neighborhoods, as all over the world there are good and bad locations .....and depends on needs and Prices? Good Luck
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deborah is right about many different areas and climates. I have a friend who runs a skate park in Puerta Viejo, which is on the Caribean side. They are fine and don't feel the area has been taken over by drug users. She is also right about taking many hours to get from one area to another. This is mostly because of heavy traffic in some areas and bad roads in others.

    If you want to stay close to San Jose but don't want to live in the dirty, crowded downtown area, some of the suburbs as you head to the mountains are really pretty. But you get away more and more from the Tico way of life and become more Americanized. Two places near the city are Escazu and Santa Ana. Both big expat areas. Very pretty though.

    You really need to just go to Costa Rica and look around some for yourself and depending on what type of area you want, you can decide from there.

    ReplyDelete